Monday, December 11, 2017

Books, a Toy, and a Savior

I watched as the customer assistant folded the flaps of the carton box and sealed the edges with a tape. Then she wrapped the package in plastic and inserted on a side pocket the waybill identifying the consignee and destination of the goods. My books were on their way to a remote elementary school up north.


                I had mixed feelings when I realized that I was parting with my books. It gave me satisfaction that I was able to share my books to school children and teachers who are very much in need of materials for their library, yet the separation anxiety was real. These books have been with me for years and have helped me in many ways—grammar books, a book of fables and parables, juvenile novels, a well-read Bible, and reference books.

                As my palm patted the surface of the box, a scene came to my mind. I remembered the college-bound Andy in the movie Toy Story 3 when he hesitated to give away his all-time favorite toy Woody the Cowboy to a little girl. He spent many happy days playing with Woody that’s why parting with the miniature wooden cowboy was difficult. But in the end, Andy yielded and handed his old beloved toy to its new eager owner.

Image of Woody from www.clipartpanda.com

                There is Someone who gave away something far more valuable than books or toys. God the Father gave His only beloved Son, Jesus, so all of us may not perish but live. This is the essence of Christmas. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son. Whoever puts his trust in God’s Son will not be lost but will have life that lasts forever” (John 3:16). God did not hesitate to send His only beloved Son to this troubled world to rescue us. He who has been with Him from eternity reigning in glory, was born like one of us in humble circumstances to redeem us.



The angels told the shepherds the night baby Jesus was born, “Do not be afraid. I am bringing you good news that will be a great joy to all the people. Today your Savior was born in the town of David. He is Christ, the Lord” (Luke 2:10-11). How did Jesus become our Savior? The baby Jesus would later grow up and by the age of 33, die on the cross to pay for our sins and set us free from its power.

 This Christmas season, I hope you receive the greatest gift one can ever have, far greater than books or toys. He is Jesus Christ, the Lord, our Savior!



2 comments:

cheldvmariano said...

I also give away books (old and new)and my boys'used and previously-loved toys every Christmas. It's like sharing a personal part of us to others. ��

Marlene Legaspi-Munar said...

True!