Monday, January 19, 2009

A Stop Over to the Past

Aside from the historical and cultural trips to Lutherstadt Wittenberg and Wartburg Castle in Eisenach, we also traversed several cities aboard a train to see the Rhine River, Germany’s biggest river. Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Wartburg Castle, and a portion of the Rhine River called the Rhine Gorge, are all listed in the UNESCO World Heritage Site, meaning they are sites of outstanding historical, cultural, and geological importance to humanity. I feel greatly blessed that I was given the chance to see these wonderful places.






Tito Friedrich and Tita Glen brought me to other equally impressive parts of Germany, but I’d like to think that God favored me to visit this country to somehow connect me to a portion of the past in the area of writing, translating, and publishing. After visi
ting the church in Lutherstadt where Martin Luther posted his 95 theses, I stepped into Luther’s room in Wartburg Castle where he translated the New Testament into German. I also passed by Mainz (birthplace of Johannes Gutenberg, inventor of the modern printing press with movable type) and the busy city of Frankfurt where the biggest book fair in the world is held every October. I find this stop over in Germany truly a fitting prelude to my journey to Brazil to attend Littworld, an international Christian publishing conference.


Gutenberg's monument in Mainz

The Old Opera House in Frankfurt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marlene,

Hello from Brazil!!!
It is very nice to get in touch with you, again.
Littword was a blessing and having you at my seminar about blogs and now reading yours it's a gift!
May God bless you and keep using you through your writings and now, you BLOG!!!!!
A big hug from your brazilian friend,

Marlene Legaspi-Munar said...

Thanks Whaner! It took me a while to finally start blogging. But now I realize it's a good tool to testify about what the Lord is doing in my life, and encourage people in the process. I want to track the visitors in my blog. What tool can you recommend?